About Me

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Music to My Ears

One of the things we really enjoy doing as a family is snowmobiling. I talk about it almost as much as I talk about writing. I really like riding. I enjoy it even more so now that I have some confidence. I’m more than happy to get out every chance I can get.

The boys also really enjoy it. Last weekend, before we headed into the hills, the oldest asked me where we were going. I told him the same place we went last time (which is up in the Snowys), and he wrinkled his nose and screwed up his mouth and said, “I want to go to the other place.”

“Which other place?” I asked. “The one where we ride trails?”

I explained to him the difference between the two places: that the Snowys are where we ride hills and meadows and that Albany is where we ride trails.

He shook his head. “Not Albany. Riding trails is so boring. All you do is turn.”



There was a time when I would have thought he was crazy for saying that, but not anymore. Riding trails isn’t necessarily boring, it’s just a different kind of riding. There are parts of it I like. But I also have a great time mountain riding, going up hills and cruising around meadows. And that’s what the kids really enjoy too.

For only being 6 and 7, the boys are troopers. Mountain riding is physically demanding. It takes focus and energy. Last weekend, we rode about 40 miles and were out for almost 6 hours. That’s a long day for a kid. That’s a long day for me! But it was amazing. We had so much fun! The kids kept up and didn’t whine about wanting to go home. They mentioned it once or twice, but never threw a fit. I was so proud of them.

As you can imagine, the boys fell asleep in the truck on the ride home. They were still so exhausted after we got home. But later that night, after we’d gone out to dinner, my youngest says from the backseat, “I really want to go snowmobiling again.” I smiled. My heart swelled with pride. It’s one of the best things to hear after a long day of riding.




No comments:

Post a Comment