About Me

Friday, August 9, 2013

Lucky Phoo by Stacia Deutsch and Rhody Cohon‏


Seventh grade best friends, Caylie Jiang-Kahn, Lauren Blindell, and Sabrina Robinson have busy middle school lives.

Sabrina wants to make a movie about their friendship, but a stray dog shows up and ruins the day. In frustration, Lauren curses, “Oh Phooey.” The name sticks. The crazy mutt will forever be named Phoo.

Sabrina pieces together bits of the footage she shot. She highlights Phoo’s silly antics and puts the video up on a movie contest website.

The video goes viral and suddenly, Lauren, Caylie, and Sabrina are celebrities at school. When a volunteer at the dog shelter sees the film, she assumes the dog belongs to the girls and calls them to come collect Phoo.

The girls arrange to take turns caring for Phoo until he can be adopted.

While sharing Phoo, Caylie, Sabrina and Lauren begin to notice that if the dog is around, lucky things seem to happen. The moment he’s gone…the luck disappears.

When they all need the dog’s magic at the same time, it’s up to the girls to decide once and for all: Is Phoo truly a lucky dog?


Q) What inspired you to write this book?
I have been published for many years through major houses. I write constantly. This was a book f my heart. When I partnered with my friend Rhody Cohon to work on LUCKY PHOO we fell in love with the idea and the characters. Three girls, a magical dog, fashion, movies, and romance – what wasn’t to love.

The characters were kids we knew. The complexities of their lives felt familiar. This cute little dog comes in and seems to make everything better for a while. Who wouldn’t want a little Phoo? At the end, we wanted the reader to raise more questions than it answered, and we hope it’s done just that.

Q) What is your favorite thing about writing?
I love spending all day at my computer making up kids who do exactly what I want them to do and never complain, then at three PM, I pick up my own real kids who are never as predictable. Writing keeps me balanced. It’s the perfect job for a busy mom – I work while the kids are at school and get to spend all afternoon with them , enjoying their activities. I’ve been so lucky and am grateful everyday.

Q) What is your favorite candy?
I like Big Hunk. I know, Mom warned me it would pull out my fillings, but it’s the best. I have to pick out the peanuts though. They put too many in. I wish they’d make a version without them. That would be the best.

Q) What is your favorite cartoon?
I love Scooby Do. I also write mystery novels for kids and love uncovering a puzzle. There’s nothing better than at the end of a mystery when you think you know who did it, and it turns out you had no idea.

Q) When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
I’ve always written stories. I just didn’t know I could do it professionally until recently. One day, I had an idea for a story. Rhody encouraged me to write it, offering her help. We published a series called Blast to the Past about kids who time travel. Then we went on to partner on other stuff. LUCKY PHOO is the most recent book we worked on together.

Q) What can readers expect from you in the future?
I have been very busy. In addition to the work I have done with Rhody, I write on my own. I have penned mystery novels (top secret…you’d never guess I was the ghost author), I have a tween zombie book from Scholastic called Mean Ghouls, I did the Smurfs 2 movie novel, and recently, I just finished writing a mermaid book, that I hope will come out soon. I am busy – and that’s the way I like it!


Rhody Cohon wishes she could adopt a million pets! Until her house is big enough she'll pamper the few she has and help others find the perfect home.

Find Rhody at www.rhodycohon.com.

Stacia Deutsch sits at the keyboard crafting stories all day and then, plays with her own crazy, lucky, dog at night. She and her three kids live in Southern California. You can visit Stacia at www.staciadeutsch.com or on twitter at @staciadeutsch.

Website: www.staciadeutsch.com, www.rhodycohon.com
Blog
Twitter: @staciadeutsch
Facebook: www.facebook.com/staciadeutsch or www.facebook.com/luckyphoo to post your own pet photos and videos
LinkedIn

No comments:

Post a Comment