About Me

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Drinna by Jared Gullage


Drinna is a young girl from a race called the Kunjels on the cusp of adulthood, which means she is beginning to rage. She must get back to her homeland with her parents (both of whom are merchants in a foreign land) before losing control of herself. Unfortunately, she awakes in a hostile place called the Sea of Grass, alone, frightened, and unaware of what just happened. She must find her way back to someone who can help her. As she journeys through this place, she must also survive. Monsters and beasts...and someone else...watch her as she makes her way.

Q) What inspired you to write this book?
A) This book was written to address the issue of self-control and prejudice. The young protagonist is part of a race and culture that has to endure as well as control the rage. The rage is good for protecting people from danger and should only be used to right wrongs, but left unchecked, it can be a dangerous liability. For Drinna, she must learn (all on her own) to control her rage and put it to use adequately and for the right purposes or let it consume her. In one way, this novel comments on the fallacious idea that emotions should be allowed to overrule reason or responsibility. Drinna must subject her emotions and her fear to her learning from her parents, or risk losing everything. The novel also addresses the notion of prejudice, as it puts Drinna in a position where she must carefully judge those people she meets out in the wild. They may not all be what they seem.

Q) What is your favorite thing about writing?
A) I love the ability to create new worlds and explore them. I love comparing these worlds, and cultures, and histories to our own real world and see how they differ and, more importantly, how they are alike. I love exploring universal truths this way, coming to an understanding of real humans through the telling of stories about fake ones.

Q) What is your favorite candy?
A) Dark chocolate with almonds.

Q) What is your favorite cartoon?
A) Right now, the new Loony Tunes Show is becoming my favorite. I love Lola Bunny's new characterization. I find it to be a refreshing new look at the Loony Tunes characters. However, and perhaps ironically, growing up I enjoyed the Loony Tunes (the original ones) quite a bit. I have a problem picking favorites, but these seem to have been very formative in my life.

Q) When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
When I learned how to write. When I learned I could make up stories. Perhaps it was when I was in third grade, most notably. I can remember a time when I was asked to write an additional chapter or an alternate chapter to a book we read in class, and I ended up adding ten hand-written pages to the book. My father encouraged me, giving me ideas or adages about how much reading had influenced him. He read my earliest manuscripts and gave me notes.

Q) What can readers expect from you in the future?
A) Hopefully, they can expect fantasy that challenges preconceived notions and which explores interesting ideas in interesting ways. I am working on a sequel to Drinna, but it may be a while. I am also working on other novels involving the kunjels of Trithofar, which I hope will become my home territory.

About the author:
I am currently an Alabama resident and have been a lifetime writer. Currently, I am a high school English and literature teacher. Ever since I knew how, I have always enjoyed writing, and much of what I am writing now has much to do with the imaginings of my childhood and what my friends and I played as children. I went to high school, during which time I learned how to play D&D and other fantasy role-playing games, which developed my story-making skills ever further. In college, I sort of fell into an English major and eventually went to school for my masters degree for teaching literature, where I get to study what makes a good story and teach how to write better and more clearly. As I am a teacher, so also am I a student, of literature now and use what I teach to help me improve my writing and get my world out of my head and into other readers'.

No comments:

Post a Comment