About Me

Friday, June 21, 2013

Storm Clouds by Mary Sutton‏


Eighth-grader Jaycee Hiller is beginning to fear she only imagined her trip to Mallory. But when a rainy afternoon leaves her with hours of playing Hero’s Sword, her favorite video game, she finds herself drawn back into the game – literally.

STORM CLOUDS is the exciting second volume of the HERO’S SWORD saga – chronicling Jaycee Hiller’s trials in eight grade, and her exciting adventures in Mallory, the setting of her favorite video game. Jaycee enters the video game realm via a special controller and is caught up in the action of this fantasy realm.

In STORM CLOUDS, a valuable jewel belonging to the neighboring estate of Devin, the Sapphire Star, is missing, stolen at the Fall Consortium. Lady Starla stands accused of the theft. Devin’s demands are clear: return the Star or they will take it back by force.

Now it’s up to Lyla Stormbringer to find the Star and the thief. before Mallory finds itself at war.


A software technical writer by day, Mary Sutton has been making her living with words for over a decade. She writes the Hero’s Sword middle-grade fantasy series as M.E. Sutton, and The Laurel Highlands Mysteries series as Liz Milliron. She lives in Pittsburgh, PA with her husband and two children.

Website
Blog
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads
Amazon Author page

Q) What inspired you to write this book?
I remember middle-school just sucked for me. And now my kids are in middle-school and I see my daughter going through some of the exact same stuff. I wanted to write a story for all of those kids in the same boat and tell them, “It’s okay to be different. You are an amazing person. Don’t be afraid to claim your space.” It’s the book I wish I’d read in 8th grade.

Q) What is your favorite thing about writing?
Getting lost in the story. When I get into a groove, the rest of the world just kind of disappears and I’m actually in that world (Mallory in this case). And then the characters start talking to me, telling me where they need and want to go. It’s such a thrill ride.

Q) What is your favorite candy?
Mostly I’m partial to dark chocolate, but I admit to a weakness for Swedish fish too.

Q) What is your favorite cartoon?
I love classic Looney Tunes, especially Marvin the Martian. They really nailed the comedy. Also Animaniacs, but Phineas and Ferb is good too (glad I’m not their mom!).

Q) When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
Probably since I was 13. Because I wasn’t popular, I spent a lot of time in my own head, making things up. Of course, things were always better in my make-believe world. And then I started mentally rewriting ends of books and movies when I thought the ending wasn’t quite what I liked.

Q) What can readers expect from you in the future?
Definitely more books in the Hero’s Sword series. I can see the end, but Jaycee has a long way to go to get there and I’m looking forward to being with her on her journey. I also write a police-procedural mystery series under a pen name (Liz Milliron), so I’m looking forward to exploring that world some more as well.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

1 comment: